3 slices white bread, torn into small bits (1 cup)
1/3 cup milk
2 small onions, finely chopped
1 tbsp. finely grated cheese
1 small garlic clove, minced
1 large egg
1 pound or 1/2 kg ground chicken (I used breast)
1 tbsp. tomato paste
3 tbsp. finely chopped parsley
1-2 tsp. chilli flakes (optional)
1-2 green chillies chopped (optional)
2 tbsp. ketchup
oil for greasing the pan
- Preheat oven to 180°C with a rack in the middle.
- In a small bowl, soak the bread in milk until softened.
- Meanwhile, preheat a medium skillet over medium heat and sauté the onion, garlic, salt and pepper and cook until the onion is softened, about 6 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Squeeze the bread to remove excess milk, then discard milk.
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg, then add the chicken, tomato paste, parsley, cheese, onion mixture, chilli flakes, green chilli and the bread. Mix well and form 12-15 meatballs.
- Lightly spray or oil a baking sheet (I used a 9×13 Pyrex dish) and place the meatballs in it.
- Squeeze a little ketchup on top of each meatball and spread with a teaspoon.
- Bake until the meatballs are cooked through, about 20 minutes.